Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Some Nib's to nibble on!


Looking through my previous posts I've realized how little sugar there is to my "Sugar and Spice and Everything else". I don't do as much baking as I'd like to these days. My "real" jobs, or my big girl jobs as we like to call them, take up some  time during the day. However, I am always looking for new baking recipes to try out.

A little more than a year ago, I discovered Stumble. I'm sure you all know what it is, but if you don't, I would actually advise against checking it out. If you have a life, a job, a family, or anything important to do in your life, do NOT Stumble. When I first started, baking was one of the interests I always stumbled upon. Around this same time was when cake pops where becoming popular. I tried making a batch, the kind with cooled and crumbed cake mixed with frosting, and they did not turn out. They were delicious, but man did they look like a hot mess. Then, a miracle happened. Babycakes.




I found this great cake pop maker! It looked like a glorified waffle iron but with little dome wells instead of squares. The best part, it was really affordable. The cake pops were also a lot lighter. The frosting in other batches makes them very rich. Delicious, but rich. I've found that you can make a lot more flavors this way. It definitely took a few practice rounds, but I was thoroughly pleased with the results.

I made cake pops for everything after that. Once that craze started, I remembered how much I loved to bake. I had great taste testers too; I lived with four other girls. One of my roommates said that she wanted a huge, Ace of Cakes style cake when her birthday came around. The brainstorming began! My other roommate and I made the greatest Wisconsin Badger cake that also played music. It was a pretty pedestrian version, but for amateur bakers, we thought it rocked!

After that, all of our birthday cakes had to be extreme. During all of the planning, I thought about how cool it would be to have my own little bakery. I started thinking of names because that's always what you do with a new dream. What are you going to call it? My partner in frosting crime's name is Nissa, so I tried to think of something with our initials. The first word that came to mind was Nib's. When I came home, I jokingly said "Hey Nissa, want to start a bakery with me and call it Nib's?" She looked at me for a bit and said "Sure!"

Our fantastic logo made by my man.


We actually became serious about it and started planning soon after that. It's been almost a year now, and we've had some pretty good business. We mainly do cake pops, but we've also done cupcakes, graduation and birthday cakes, and during Christmas we do Christmas cookies. It's mainly just for our friends and family, but we're trying to expand in our area. We have a facebook page, and we can bake pretty much anything! Give us a look see: Nib's.

We have a ton of photos, but here are some of my favorites. Enjoy!

One of my first successful batches.













The base of this cake had speakers hooked up to an iPod.













A Mt. Dew cake with Sixlet checkers for my man.

















This was for our other roommate who LOVES Pokemon and Harry Potter.













Mummy cake pops for a Halloween party.













Our Christmas cookies!!

















First attempt at cupcakes and a new star tip.

















Wizard of Oz themed cake pops. Check out the site for close-ups.

















Skeleton bears for a dance group.

















Our first tiered cake.

















A very sloppy, but effective 4th of July cake!

















Our new favorite decorating design.



















Questions? Shoot us a facebook message! We can pretty much do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment